Thursday, 21 October 2010

Midnight Snacks

Well last night my little darling did this at 6:30pm. She just managed to watch the Simpsons before passing out.

So she was transplanted to my bed by her daddy because she's now pretty much too heavy for me to carry when she's a sleeping dead weight.

All was well until I checked her at 10:45pm. axial temperature was 39.9 which means her internal temperature was at action stations. she was fairly incoherant and red as a lobster. I think I need to buy a baby monitor because I'd not noticed. I was downstairs.

Medicine was administered and I had to do one of the things I hate the most. I had to put her in a blood temperature bath. I got in with her to calm her; as soon as she heard the taps she screamed like I was going to murder her. I suppose it's routine to her now, we've been doing it every 4 weeks since she was 15 months old.

one hour in the bath was spent calming the Squidge by singing pretty much every song I know (a smattering of country from Nanci Griffith and Dolly Parton, some SClub7, and i think the Fairground Attraction's whole back catalogue). A few top-ups of warm water just so it didn't become unbearable and i checked her axial temp again. I'm checking axial righ now because she's got a blocked nose and thereofre keeps breathing on the oral thermometer. so, yeah. checked her temp again and it had dropped 0.3 of a degree centigrade. not much, but down is always good.

we lay in my bed chatting as she was now coherant again and after a while she said she was hungry. When her illness hits, we have a few days of her eating like a horse while she has the beginning symptoms, and then she has almost no appetite while she's suffering so her asking for food was wonderful. I made her a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk which she ate in my bed whilst chatting. Midnight snacks are always fun.

I checked her temperature again, it was now nearly 2 hours since the medicines were administered. temperature down to 37.1 axial, so i knew it was on its way.

I snuggled her up in her duvet next on Daddy's side of the Big Bed (Hairyman is currently on night shift) and turned off the light to sleep.

4:30am alarm went off, lights went on, sophie was given more medicine and was very good about it. Sleep followed again quickly.

8:30am alarm went off and she had more medicine, and decided it was time to get up. I phoned school while she was "bathrooming heself" and we came downstairs to find half naked Hairyman asleep on the sofa.

And so the day begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment